The Northshore School District invites all students, parents, staff, and community members to consider serving on the Equity & Diversity Committee. Applications will be accepted until September 30, 2019.
We are committed to creating a safe, caring, and mutually respectful environment within our school district community so that all students, families, and staff feel valued, supported, and welcome. We honor the diversity represented across our community and throughout our schools in regards to race, ethnicity, culture, socioeconomic status, gender, mental health status, disability/ability, age, sexual orientation, religion, and gender expression. Therefore, we have a responsibility to commit time, energy, and resources to develop an equitable and inclusive environment for all students, parents, and staff.
The Equity & Diversity Committee serves as an advisory to the School Board and Superintendent, and advocate for our community at large. The committee’s aim is to provide these stakeholders with support, guidance, and information to fuel equitable practices in our district overall. NSD students, teachers, staff, administrators, community members, and parents are encouraged to apply.
Central focuses for the committee include:
- Promotion of inclusion and equity for all members within our Northshore community
- Review and analysis of student performance, program participation, and behavior data in order to form policy and procedure recommendations
- Alignment with NSD’s Strategic Plan
- Support in identifying, reviewing, and implementing curricula, initiatives, and efforts that best support students, staff, parents, and community members
Members should be committed to serving:
- A two-year term (members can reapply after they serve their term)
- A minimum of 2 hours per month
- At a consistent rate (ie: consistent attendance)
Sub-Committees within the Diversity and Equity Committee:
Sub-committees are an important structure that we use to engage in work across a field of interests that pertain to equity and diversity in education. Note: these sub-committees are not set in stone, and the Diversity and Equity Committee looks forward to continuing to expand its scope in the years to come.
- District-Wide Engagement: Develop district-wide interventions to help students, families, and community members feel more supported and involved; organize creative spaces to inform, engage, and empower students, families, and community members; and facilitate events to elevate compassion, transparency, collaboration, and belonging in the district-community.
- School-Wide Engagement: Support schools in the development of school-level interventions to help students, families, and community members feel more supported and involved; help schools organize creative spaces to inform, engage, and empower students, families, and community members; and help schools facilitate equity-related events.
- Hiring and Retention: Implement retention and recruiting strategies, events, and practices; generate equity and diversity-focused questions for hiring committees; review and provide feedback on Human Resources’ outreach strategies; and organize and facilitate Staff of Color Coalition events and opportunities.
- GSS (Gender and Sexuality): Develop interventions to foster safe and supportive environments for LGBTQIA+ students and staff; advocate for LGBTQIA+ rights and opportunities; and facilitate events to elevate belonging and allyship in the district-community.
- Measuring Progress: Research and collect data on disproportionalities in regards to discipline, attendance, opportunities, academic achievement, etc. in NSD and make the results accessible to the district-community.
- Religion: Create space to facilitate productive conversations related to religious beliefs, practices, and observances within the NSD community; raise awareness and educate the NSD community about religious observances and practices; influence district policies to ensure religions are represented and acknowledged; engage in up-to-date calendaring in relation to religious observances.
The Equity and Diversity Committee meets from 4-6pm on the fourth Wednesday of each month, beginning on October 23, 2019. The location TBD. Sub-committees are encouraged to meet on their own and at their desired location any time between each formal committee meeting.